The death of Pope Alexander VII in 1667 marked the end of a period. His successors refrained from embarking on large and expensive renovations of churches. The activity of Bernini slowed down: he worked for many years on a statue of Louis XIV (now in Versailles). In 1675 he designed a chapel in the peripheral church of S. Francesco a Ripa for the family Paluzzi-Albertoni, where his pictorial approach is even more evident than in the other chapels.
Overall view and the statue seen at natural light
The viewer is guided towards the end of the chapel by a sort of frame. There is no traditional altar, but a composition made by different materials and by different artists. A colored marble is shaped in the form of a drapery on which lies a statue of Beata Ludovica Albertoni (or perhaps St Anne) by Bernini. Above the statue a fine painting by Giovanni Battista Gaulli il Baciccio on a subject drawn by Bernini. Slightly above the statue, in a very unusual position, two series of stucco angels converge towards it. Finally the entire wall is covered by a gilded decoration.
Where the light comes from
Also in this chapel Bernini devised a hidden window to direct light on the face of Beata Ludovica Albertoni.
Other pages dealing with Baroque sculpture:
Statues in the act of praying
Monuments showing the dead in a medallion
Three chapels by Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Representation of Death in Baroque sculptures
Three busts by Alessandro Algardi
Baroque Monuments to the Popes
Bernini's Exiled Statue
Baroque High Reliefs
Statues Close to Heaven
Embittered Andrew (the statues in St. Peter's octagon)
Playing with Colours