In June 2007 Terrazza delle Quadrighe (Terrace of the Chariots), the top terrace of Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II, was opened to the public for the first time.
The terrace is named after two gigantic bronze statues portraying a winged Victory on a quadriga, a chariot pulled by four horses. The statues were completed for the 50th anniversary of Italian Unity (1911), but they were placed on the top terrace in 1930.
The lift on the rear of the monument and view towards the east
The terrace offers striking views in all directions; the finest one is that towards the north because it is not impaired by hills or other tall buildings.
View towards the north
You can see this view in a 10,000x834 image (1.7MB) or in a 5,000x417 image (0.5MB). In both cases the image is accompanied by a second one of the same size which highlights the main monuments and has links to pages showing them (see example below).
Image which highlights the monuments
Other pages of this section:
The Angel's Views (Rome seen from Castel Sant'Angelo)
Grand View of Rome from Giardino degli Aranci
Grand View of Rome from Villa Lante
The Domes of Rome
The Bell Towers of Rome
The Loggias of Rome