All images © by Roberto Piperno, owner of the domain. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Text edited by Rosamie Moore.
from Giardino degli Aranci
According to the traditional account St. Dominic brought the first orange trees to Rome; they were a gift for
Pope Honorius III who had granted him authority for the foundation of Ordo Praedicatorum (Order of the Preachers or the Dominican Order). The pope, also for security reasons, preferred to live in
Rocca Savella, a fortified site near S. Sabina and the first trees were planted in the cloister of that monastery.
Over the years Rocca Savella was abandoned and eventually it became the kitchen garden of S. Sabina Dominican monks.
In 1932 the area was acquired by the Italian government and turned into a public garden. In memory of St. Dominic's gift to the pope it was planted with orange (and pine) trees. The fruits are not edible, but in winter their bright colours are heart warming.
The terrace offers striking views over Trastevere, the Vatican, Campo Marzio and Campidoglio. In summer Giardino degli Aranci is one of the venues of Estate Romana.
You can see this view in a 9,912x568 image (1.7MB). The image is accompanied by a second one of the same size which highlights the main monuments and has links to pages showing them.
Other pages of this section:
A New Grand View of Rome
The Angel's Views (Rome seen from Castel Sant'Angelo)
Grand View of Rome from Villa Lante
The Domes of Rome
The Bell Towers of Rome
The Loggias of Rome
The Little Madonnas of Rome
The Pines of Rome
Golden Mosaics in Rome
The Talking Statues of Rome
A Roman Bestiary (the animals of Rome)