You may wish to see a page on the fortress and the history of the island first.
(above) St. Mark's Square and Church; (below) Dionysios Solomos Square and Zakynthos Museum
In 1953 a major earthquake struck Zante and nearby Cefalonia; only few buildings survived the earthquake and many people fled the island. Reconstruction and economic recovery were slow, but eventually the town was rebuilt and its Venetian urban design with low buildings, porticoes and squares was retained. The reconstruction however did not bring back St. Mark's, the Roman Catholic cathedral, to its original design. This can be seen in the image used as background for this page.
This small church is the only one which survived the earthquake; it was located on an islet linked to the town by a bridge and it belonged to a brotherhood of sailors, of whom St. Nicholas is the patron saint.
Other churches suffered great damage, but they were carefully reconstructed by utilizing their original decoration and architectural elements. St. Charalambos' is located near the modern harbour and it was built in 1727 in fulfilment of a vow as stated by an inscription in Greek and Latin.
St. Charalambos: detail of the portal
Zante was hit by a pestilence and its Greek Orthodox inhabitants implored St. Charalambos for help; this IInd century martyr was known for having healed one of his torturers. According to his hagiography at the time of his martyrdom he was 113 years old. In the Roman Catholic tradition churches built in fulfilment of a similar vow were dedicated to St. Roch.
(left) Our Lady of the Angels; (right) relief on the bell tower
The presence of many churches with an elaborate decoration is an indication of the relative wealth of Zante during the Venetian rule. The Republic of Venice promoted the development of the island by reclaiming marshes and by favouring the production of wine and olive oil. The fact that farming was not limited to a subsistence agriculture, but produced a surplus which could be exported in turn favoured the development of the port and of ancillary activities.
Our Lady of the Angels: reliefs of the portal
Zante was known in particular for its sweet wines and its raisins and currants of which England was a great consumer. The Venetian government levied high duties on these exports to the point that in 1581 Queen Elizabeth I reacted by favouring the foundation of the Levant Company which was aimed at finding other sources of raisins in the Levant (eventually Smyrna became a great supplier of raisins).
Zante became known for its landscape as this 1837 sonnet by Edgar Allan Poe demonstrates.
The last words are written in Italian and refer to Zante as
Golden Island and Flower of the Levant.
Zakynthos Museum: restored Byzantine style frescoes of a small church in the countryside
Not all the churches and monasteries which were razed to the ground by the earthquake were rebuilt; in some cases their frescoes were reassembled inside the museum of the town. The exhibits show how local artists combined Byzantine and Italian styles.
In 1669 Candia surrendered to the Ottomans after a siege of twenty years. Francesco Morosini, the Venetian commander, obtained the right to leave Candia with the still large Venetian fleet under his command and to carry away not only the soldiers, but also the civilians. A large number of the Cretan refugees stopped at Zante and the island had a significant increase in population and resources as the incoming people belonged to the upper classes.
Zakynthos Museum: traditional Byzantine icons inside elaborate Italian style frames
Cultural exchanges between Zante and Venice and Italy in general were customary. Primary education was given in Zante by Orthodox and Catholic institutions, but the sons of the wealthiest families were then sent to Venice to complete their studies. Some of them were enrolled at the University of Padua which was renowned for its teachers in the areas of medicine, astronomy, philosophy and law.
Zakynthos Museum: (left) ceiling; (right) 1795 monument to Adamantina Gaeta
When eventually in 1797 the history of the Republic of Venice came to an end, the wealthiest families of Zante were imbibed with Italian culture and the works of art of the last period of the Venetian rule are not that different from those which were designed in Italian towns of the Republic such as Verona and Padua.
Zante is the birthplace of three great poets: the Greeks Andreas Kalvos and Dionysios Solomos and the Italian Ugo Foscolo. They lived between the XVIIIth and the XIXth century and they knew each other. Andreas Kalvos acted as secretary to Foscolo and wrote several poems in Italian. Solomos, of Cretan origin, wrote the commemoration of Foscolo who died in 1827 in England. Solomos is the author of Hymn to Liberty, the Greek national anthem and the largest square of Zante is dedicated to him, but the major part of his literary production was written in Italian. Foscolo, who dedicated one of his finest sonnets to Zante, is remembered by two small monuments.
|Nè più mai toccherò le sacre sponde|
Ove il mio corpo fanciulletto giacque,
Zacinto mia, che te specchi nell'onde
Del greco mar da cui vergine nacque
Venere, e fea quelle isole feconde
Col suo primo sorriso, onde non tacque
Le tue limpide nubi e le tue fronde
L'inclito verso di colui che l'acque
Cantò fatali, ed il diverso esiglio
Per cui bello di fama e di sventura
Baciò la sua petrosa Itaca Ulisse.
Tu non altro che il canto avrai del figlio,
O materna mia terra; a noi prescrisse
Il fato illacrimata sepoltura.
Nor ever more to touch the sacred shores|
Where I was cradled as a tiny boy,
Zakynthos mine, mirroring in the waves
Of the Greek sea whence Venus, virgin, rose
And with her first smile fecundated all
Those islands, so thy fronds and limpid clouds
Entered unsilenced the illustrious tale
Of him who sang the fateful waters and
The roaming exile from whose changing paths
Ulysses, splendid with ill-luck and fame,
Returned to kiss his rocky Ithaca.
Naught else thy son can give thee but his song,
O my maternal earth: for us stern fate
Prescribed an unlamented burial.
Translation © Carl Selph, 1999
Sunday concert at St. Mark's Square starting with the Greek National Anthem
Translation by Rudyard Kipling (1918)
Return to page one: the fortress.
Introductory page on the Venetian Fortresses in Greece
List of the fortresses
|Geographic area||Location||Ionian Islands||Corfù (Kerkyra) Paxo (Paxi) Santa Maura (Lefkadas) Cefalonia (Kephallonia) Asso (Assos) Itaca (Ithaki) Zante (Zachintos) Cerigo (Kythera)||Greek Mainland||Butrinto (Butrint) Parga Preveza and Azio (Aktion) Vonizza (Vonitsa) Lepanto (Nafpaktos) Atene (Athens)||Peloponnese (Morea)||Castel di Morea (Rio), Castel di Rumelia (Antirio) and Patrasso (Patra) Castel Tornese (Hlemoutsi) and Glarenza Navarino (Pilo) and Calamata Modon (Methoni) Corone (Koroni) Braccio di Maina, Zarnata, Passavà and Chielefà Mistrà Corinto (Korinthos) Argo (Argos) Napoli di Romania (Nafplio) Malvasia (Monemvassia)||Aegean Islands||Negroponte (Chalki) Castelrosso (Karistos) Oreo Lemno (Limnos) Schiatto (Skiathos) Scopello (Skopelos) Alonisso Schiro (Skyros) Andro (Andros) Tino (Tinos) Micono (Mykonos) Siro (Syros) Egina (Aegina) Spezzia (Spetse) Paris (Paros) Antiparis (Andiparos) Nasso (Naxos) Serifo (Serifos) Sifno (Syphnos) Milo (Milos) Argentiera (Kimolos) Santorino (Thira) Folegandro (Folegandros) Stampalia (Astipalea)||Crete||Grambusa (Granvousa) Castello (Kasteli/Kissamos) La Canea (Xania) Souda Candia (Iraklion) Rettimo (Rethymno) Spinalonga and Castel Mirabello Castles on the southern coast Sittia and Paleocastro|
You may refresh your knowledge of the history of Venice in the Levant by reading an abstract from
the History of Venice by Thomas Salmon, published in 1754. The Italian text is accompanied by an English summary.