You may wish to see an introductory page first.
Rione Sant'Angelo was named after the church of S. Angelo in Pescheria. It was the smallest
Rione in terms of size, but not in terms of population especially after the decree issued by Pope Paul IV in 1555, which forced the Jews of Rome to live in a
segregated area in the southern part of Rione S. Angelo. It borders to the west on Regola and
Sant'Eustachio, to the north on Pigna, to the east on Campitelli and Ripa and to the south
on the Tiber (the long row of houses on the river was shown by Giuseppe Vasi in Plate 91).
For a map of the Roman quarters (Rioni) click here - it opens in another window.
The ancient symbol of Rione Sant'Angelo was a fish with reference to the fish market (pescheria) which once existed under the arches of Portico d'Ottavia. However, the XVIIIth century
tablets which mark the borders of the Rione show a nobler symbol, an angel with a sword and a balance, which while being a visual translation of the name of the rione, would have been more appropriate
for identifying Rione Borgo or Rione Ponte, both dominated by massive Castel Sant'Angelo.
Of its ancient past Rione Sant'Angelo retains Teatro di Marcello and Portico d'Ottavia; Via delle Botteghe Oscure at the northern edge of the rione marks one side of Circus Flaminius. Columns and reliefs can be seen in many buildings (Casa di Lorenzo Manilio, Tor Margana, Palazzo Patrizi, etc..). The majority of the monuments of the Rione belong to the XVIth century or to the first years of the following century.
Main monuments of Rione Sant'Angelo and the five gates of the Ghetto (clickable map)
The red X mark the main changes which occurred after 1777:
a) top left corner: the old church of Santi Sebastiano and Valentino and its little square were replaced in the XIXth century by a large building;
b) lower part of the map: the whole Jewish ghetto was demolished in 1888 and it was replaced by modern buildings. The ghetto was subject to frequent floods so in 1888 the level of the ground was significantly raised. A new Tempio Maggiore, the main synagogue, was built with a dome which soon became one of the best known Domes of Rome.
The different colours group the monuments which are shown in the same page.
|Chiesa di||San Stanislao dei Polacchi||-|
|Chiesa di||Santa Caterina de' Funari||-|
|Chiesa dei||Santi Sebastiano e Valentino||Lost|
|Palazzo||Mattei di Giove||-|
|Palazzo di||Giacomo Mattei||-|
|-||Fontana delle Tartarughe||-|
|-||Tor Margana||With mon. of Campitelli.|
|Palazzo||Paluzzi Serlupi Lovatelli||With mon. of Campitelli.|
|Casa di||Lorenzo Manilio||-|
|Chiesa di||Sant' Angelo in Pescheria||-|
|Chiesa di||Sant' Ambrogio alla Massima||-|
|-||Albergo della Catena||-|
|-||Teatro di Marcello||With mon. of Campitelli.|
|I - Monti||II - Trevi|
|III - Colonna||IV - Campo Marzio|
|V - Ponte||VI - Parione|
|VII - Regola||VIII - Sant'Eustachio|
|IX - Pigna||X - Campitelli|
|XI - Sant'Angelo||XII - Ripa|
|XIII - Trastevere||XIV - Borgo|