All images © by Roberto Piperno, owner of the domain. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Text edited by Rosamie Moore.
Rione II Trevi
Rione Trevi is named after the large Fontana di Trevi at the centre of the rione. It includes the western side of the Quirinale hill and the plain between this hill and Via del Corso.
It borders to the west on Pigna, to the south and the east on Monti and to the north on Colonna and the walls of Rome.
For a map of the Roman quarters (Rioni) click here.
Three swords are the symbol of Rione Trevi (Trevi is a corruption of trivio, three streets).
Ruins in Giardino Colonnese and in Horti Sallustiani are the only surviving evidence of ancient Rome in this rione. The two statues in Piazza del Quirinale come from nearby Rione Monti and the obelisk in the same square comes from Mausoleo di Augusto.
Rione Trevi has some of the most imposing palaces of Rome: Palazzo del Quirinale and Palazzo Barberini were built between the end of the XVIth century and the first half of the next century on the Quirinale hill, when the area was almost considered countryside and they did not have space limitations. Other interesting palaces of more or less the same period are Palazzo Sciarra, Palazzo Colonna and Palazzo Odescalchi, all between Via del Corso and the Quirinale hill.
SS. Apostoli is the main church of the rione, while the façades S. Susanna by Carlo Maderno (1603) and S. Marcello by Carlo Fontana (1683) mark the start and the end of Baroque architecture in Rome.
1) S. Maria di Loreto
2) Nome di Maria
3) Palazzo Spinelli
4) Palazzo Odescalchi
5) Palazzo Colonna
6) S. Romualdo (lost)
7) Palazzo Bolognetti (lost)
8) Palazzo dell'Accademia di Francia
9) S. Marcello
10) Monastero dell'Umiltà
11) Palazzo Sciarra
12) Monastero delle Vergini
13) S. Maria in Via
14) Palazzo Poli
15) Palazzo Poli (rear side)
16) Palazzo della Stamperia
17) Piazza della Pilotta
18) Piazza di Montecavallo o del Quirinale
19) S. Maria dei Foglianti (lost)
20) S. Nicola in Arcione (lost)
21) Chiesa dell'Angelo Custode (lost)
22) Palazzo Barberini
23) S. Niccolò da Tolentino
Elegance and a bit of folly are the main characteristics of the decoration of many palaces in Trevi. The prevalence of XVIIth and XVIIIth century architectural patterns is very evident also in minor aspects.
Main monuments of Rione Trevi
The red X mark the main changes which occurred after 1777:
a) X in the upper left part of the map: the gardens and villas were replaced after 1870 by a residential quarter;
b) several X linked by two lines in the centre of the map: in 1926-32 two new large streets modified the area between Piazza Barberini and Chiesa di S. Susanna;
c) several X linked by lines above the great green area: in 1885 the streets linking Via del Corso and Piazza Barberini were enlarged and became one large street (Via del Tritone): this street was linked with the new quarters developed near the railway station by a tunnel under the Quirinale hill;
d) several X linked by a line in the lower part of the map: in 1878 a new street was opened to link Piazza Venezia with Via Nazionale and the railway station.
The different colours group the monuments which are shown in the same page.
You can also have a look at it from the Janiculum: S. Andrea della Valle and Quirinale.