All images © by Roberto Piperno, owner of the domain. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Text edited by Rosamie Moore.
Page revised in November 2009.
Palazzo Panfilio (Book 4) (Map B3) (Day 1) (View C7) (Rione Pigna)
Palazzo Panfilio or Doria Pamphilj has three fašades: in this plate
we see the 1660 fašade designed by Antonio del Grande in Piazza del Collegio
Romano. For the other two fašades see Plate 39
and Plate 44.
Palazzo Pamphilj and Collegio Romano (built by Pope Gregory XIII in 1583 and owned by the Jesuits) still face each other, but while the palace is still a property of the Doria Pamphilj, Collegio Romano today belongs to the Italian State and it houses a high school (Liceo Ennio Quirino Visconti). Unfortunately the square is one of the very few in the centre of Rome where parking is still allowed; Palazzo Pamphilj is in bad need of being repainted.
The Pamphilj acquired the ownership of a block of houses in Rione Pigna in 1647 when Olimpia Aldobrandini married Camillo Pamphilj, nephew of Pope Innocent X. At that time a palace belonging to the Salviati family stood between Collegio Romano and the Pamphilj property; it occupied most of the current square. The Jesuits bought that palace with the sole objective of pulling it down which they did in 1659; they then sold part of the land to Camillo Pamphilj who commissioned Antonio del Grande a redesign of the buildings and the construction of new fašade. The palace, together with the section along Via del Corso, houses Galleria Doria Pamphilj.
Reference to the Pamphilj's heraldic symbol, a dove, is everywhere (in the loggia there is also a reference to the Aldobrandini family as stars and stripes were their heraldic symbols). In 1671 Anna, daughter of Camillo Pamphilj married Giovanni Andrea III Doria Landi who added Pamphilj to his surname; although the family is usually called Doria Pamphilj, the exact surname is Doria Pamphilj Landi. The Doria were a Genoese noble family; Andrea Doria was the admiral of the Spanish fleet at the time of Emperor Charles V; their heraldic symbol was a double-headed eagle, but they preferred not to add eagles to the decoration of the palace for fear of scaring the doves.
Excerpts from Giuseppe Vasi 1761 Itinerary related to this page: