In 1595-597 Pope Sixtus V built Acqua Felice, an aqueduct which carried water from the Alban hills
to the northern part of Rome and to the large estate (Villa Peretti or Montalto) he had
bought when he was a cardinal. The plate shows the entrance to Villa Peretti near Piazza
di Termini. The villa is also partially shown in plate 127. In 1696 it was sold to Cardinal Giovanni Francesco Negroni and it became known as Villa Negroni.
The view is taken from the green dot in the small 1748 map here below. In the description below the plate Vasi made reference to: 1) Main entrance; 2) Main Casino; 3) Buildings for the servants, hay-lofts and coach-houses (aka Case di Farfa); 4) Ruins of Terme di Diocleziano. The small map shows also 5) Aggere Serviano; 6) approximate location of Stazione Termini.
The view in February 2009
In 1860 Pope Pius IX decided to build Rome's Central Railway Station in the gardens of Villa Peretti.
After the annexation of Rome to the Kingdom of Italy in 1870 the
new government decided to make Stazione (di) Termini (*) a key element in the design of a "modern" capital and in 1888 the casino of Villa
Peretti and the long sequence of low buildings on its northern side were pulled down to make room for a large square.
(*) Thus Stazione Termini does not mean "Terminal Station" as many believe, but rather "Station near Terme (di Diocleziano)".
An exedra (semicircular wall) of Terme di Diocleziano
In 1784 Villa Negroni was acquired by Giuseppe Staderini, a merchant, who in the following years sold most of its works of art, including Neptune and Triton, a statue by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, now in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London (it opens in another window).
(left) Palazzo Massimo alle Terme; (centre/right) Obelisco di Dogali
The property was eventually bought in 1789 by the Massimo who regarded it as an enlargement of their villa near S. Giovanni in Laterano. In 1843 it was described as an extensive farm, rather than an urban villa by Rev. Jeremiah Donovan.
In 1883-886 the Massimo built a large palace near the site of the old casino (not to be confused with Palazzo Massimo alle Colonne or Palazzo Massimo di Rignano); it now houses a section of Museo Nazionale Romano.
In 1883 an obelisk was found near S. Ignazio; it was originally erected in Heliopolis by Pharaoh Rameses II. In 1887 it was placed in front of Stazione Termini, but in 1924 it was relocated to the gardens opposite Palazzo Massimo (to see all the obelisks of Rome click here). It is known as Obelisco di Dogali because it embellishes a small monument to 500 Italian soldiers who fell in January 1887 at Dogali, in today's Eritrea; this explains why the large square on the site of the old buildings is called Piazza dei Cinquecento (500).
Museo Nazionale Romano at Palazzo Massimo alle Terme: Sleeping Hermaphroditus, an ancient statue found in the late XIXth century
in the proximity of the building: you may wish to see a similar statue restored by Gian Lorenzo Bernini,
now at the Louvre Museum
Rome does not have a "main" archaeological museum. Ancient works of art are housed in museums belonging to the Holy See (mainly exhibits which were found before 1870), to the Italian State (mainly exhibits after 1870) and to the City of Rome. It is really hard to rank them.
Museo Nazionale Romano at Palazzo Massimo alle Terme: Coin collection: 1/2) Annia Faustina, wife of Emperor Antoninus Pius; 3) Iulia Domna, wife of Emperor Septimius Severus; 4) Severina, wife of Emperor Aurelian, 5) Fausta, wife of Emperor Constantine; 6) Emperor Caracalla at the age of ten when his father Septimius Severus gave him the title of Augustus
Some exhibits of Palazzo Massimo are shown in pages dealing with the location where they were found. e.g. Discobolus Lancellotti and the Girl of Anzio. A visit to the Museum cannot miss a very large collection of coins which show the excellency of Roman mints.
Entrance Hall (the Dinosaur) by Montuori, Calini, Castellazzi, Fadigati and Vitellozzi
In 1938 work started to replace the XIXth century railway station with a larger one; because of WWII the construction of the new facility was interrupted. It was completed in 1950 with a new entrance hall, which is labelled as il dinosauro because of the shape of its concrete roof (which you can also see in the image used as background for this page). You may wish to see a page on EUR, a modern development of Rome and on some very recent buildings.
The enlargement of Stazione Termini led to levelling the ground where the new facility was to be built;
a long mound stood to the left of the planned building. The mound was known as Monte della Giustizia because of a
statue of Rome at its top, which was thought to represent Justice; the statue was placed at the end of a long alley which is visible in the small 1748 map (it is now in Castello Massimo at Arsoli).
To the great dismay of railway technicians, who had to rework their projects, the mound revealed an unexpected content: a long section of the so-called Servian Wall, which according to tradition was built by King Servius Tullius. Today archaeologists say it was built after the Gauls sacked Rome in 387 BC.
This section of the wall shows a construction technique which is based on the alternate positioning of stones having a parallelepiped shape along their long or short sides. A ditch increased the effectiveness of the fortification; the Romans called agger a wall or an artificial mound which was protected by a ditch. Another section of the Servian Wall can be seen near S. Saba.
Excerpts from Giuseppe Vasi 1761 Itinerary related to this page:
Ritornando sulla prima strada, si vede a destra uno de' portone della villa Negroni già Peretti; ed il casino in cui abitò Sisto V. mentre era Cardinale, ornato di statue, busti antichi, e pitture di quel tempo. Fra le deliziose fontane, che ivi si vedono, è ammirabile quella del Tritone opera del Bernini, e fra i viali quello de' cipressi.